Hello superstar story-finders. Are you ready to be an explorer of family history, a discoverer of untold tales?
Here’s our next Family Challenge. It’s time to get curious – what have you always wanted to know about your family member(s), but never had the time to ask?
Conversation and a Cuppa Challenge
- Sit down with your family member (Mum / Dad / Carers / Godmother / Aunty / Grandparents / older sibling.
- Make a cup of tea, get comfy. It’s time to find out about your own personal history!
- Ask them to think about when they first lived in their town, village, or house. Give them a few moments to reflect.
- Ask them questions about their life!
- “What did my Grandma do?”
- “What was it like living in Bideford instead of France?”
- “How have you seen the town change in your lifetime?”
5. Find a way to record their answers.
For example, you could:
- Record them on your phone
- Write down what they say.
6. Share a photo or a video of your challenge with us, by posting on our Facebook page @tellingourstoriesdevon or emailing it to us at email@example.com.
Things to remember
When thinking about questions, remember to do these things:
- Balance fact (what actually happened) with feeling (what were their feelings about it).For example: ‘When did you move here?’ [fact] but also ‘How did you feel about having to move here?’ [feeling].
- Move chronologically (in time order). Start at the beginning (in the past), and move forward (to now).
- Let them do the talking! A good interviewer is someone who listens more than they talk.
- Ask ‘open questions’: “What was that like?” ; “Can you tell me about…?”
- Ask them to use their 5 senses: “What do you remember seeing; hearing; tasting; smelling; touching/feeling?”