Hello superstar story-finders. Are you ready to be an archaeologist of personal objects, a discoverer of undiscovered items?
This is a challenge focused on objects – personal items with a story to tell. You can repeat this one for as many objects as you can get your hands on!
The Special Object Challenge
- Ask someone from your family to choose an object which is special to them.
- Take a photo or do a drawing of it.
- Get them to tell you the story of the object, in their own words.
- Ask them questions about it:
- “Where is it from?”
- “Who gave it to you?”
- “Why is it special to you?”
- “Why did you choose this item?”
- “Did anyone own it before you?”
- Find a way to record their answers.
For example, you could:
- Build a mini museum and write their answer on an ‘object card’ which you put in front of the object.
- Take a video of them holding the object and talking about it.
- Write down what they say.
- Make a drawing of the object and annotate it (write notes about it all around the picture).