During the First World War, Tiverton was home to a number of Belgian refugees.
During the First World War, refugees were placed in the town, with records indicating that 5 Belgian children were sent to Blundell’s School. Records show that from November 1914 to spring 1916 there were a number of Belgian families in the town, with up to 60 people in residence at one point. At least two of the Belgian refugees stayed in the town.
This was the beginning of a tradition of offering refuge: during World War Two, at least two Jewish children were also placed at Blundell’s.